14 Holiday Safety Tips
The holidays are a time to have fun and relax with your friends and family. But hand-in-hand with that relaxation should come a focus on safety; after all, how can you really relax and enjoy spending time with loved ones if you feel danger lurking? That’s why, as the holidays approach, it’s a good idea to start looking into the various ways you can stay safe.
What are some of the most common dangers associated with the fall and wintertime? And how can you accomplish your holiday goals danger-free? When it comes to shopping, decorating, and socializing, make sure you keep the following tips in mind for the best results.
Whether you shop in-store or online–or both–holiday shopping is an important part of the season. On and around Black Friday, one of the biggest shopping events of the year, you’re probably going to shop on and off for presents for your loved ones for weeks.
There are lots of great ways to try and stay safe with your seasonal shopping. When you shop for your presents, holiday gatherings, or even just your regular day-to-day items, follow these tips:
- Research the retailers you purchase from. Use third-party review websites to make sure they’re reputable.
- When you shop, especially if it’s in a new place for the first time, try to bring a friend along with you. Remember: there’s safety in numbers.
- Create a plan for package delivery if you won’t be home during the time of the delivery.
- Plan ahead. Keep in mind the plethora of sales that will occur over the next few weeks, and try to do your online shopping early to be sure to get your packages in plenty of time.
Many people love decorating their homes, offices, and other locations with a holiday theme. But what with fires in the fireplace, electronic lights, and ladders to reach the highest parts of your roof, there are a number of potentially dangerous things that go along with decorating.
To keep yourself safe, make a note of these tips:
- Unplug decorative lights whenever you’re going to leave them unattended for a while. Not only will this prevent fires, but it’ll also help you save on electricity costs.
- When you use a ladder, always have a second person nearby to stabilize it.
- Purchase your lights from a reputable source. Even if you have to pay a few dollars extra, it’s worth it for the extra peace of mind.
- Always keep your smoke detectors turned on, functioning properly, and stocked with working batteries.
Being social is a big part of the holiday experience. You’re probably going to socialize with a lot of people throughout the holiday season, and that means you should always focus on safety.
Keep these tips in mind if you’re going to a public holiday party, an office party, or some other gathering where you likely won’t know everyone:
- Keep an eye on your beverage, and don’t accept any beverages that don’t come straight from a bartender or drink dispenser.
- If you choose to drink alcohol, use a designated driver or call a taxi to get back home. Even if you feel okay to drive, it’s much better to be safe than sorry.
- Be careful about giving your phone number to someone you just met. Consider giving the person a social media or IM handle instead.
- Stay in a public place at all times. If you drive home, walk straight to your car, then drive off as soon as possible.
How Can You Stay Safe During Every Season?
Of course, the holiday season is by no means the only time you should be thinking of safety. It’s important to stay safe year-round. Although you don’t have to be paranoid or look for danger around every corner, staying safe is just the responsible thing to do. If you want an easy way to stay safe throughout the year, PeopleFinders is the tool for you.
With PeopleFinders, you can stay safe during the winter holidays and all other times. There are plenty of ways you may PeopleFinders for your benefit. For example:
- If you’re throwing a holiday block party, use the address lookup to try and get more information about your neighbors.
- Or if someone gives you a cell phone number while you’re out, use the reverse phone lookup to try and see if you can get more information about that person before deciding to call them back.
Safety is an important part of having a fun holiday season. Even if you don’t plan to go out very much throughout the season, you can still use these tips to have a fun and safe winter. And always remember that you have PeopleFinders to try and keep yourself and your family safe all year long.
Image attribution: Alexey Stiop – stock.adobe.comTags: Christmas, Holidays, Safety Tips, Shopping Online, Thanksgiving
Categorized in: Safety