<< Back to Main
||FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PEOPLEFINDERS.COM REMINDS PARENTS THAT SAFETY SHOULDN’T TAKE A SUMMER VACATION
PeopleFinders.com Convenes Panel of 8 Folks Over 80, Unlocking The Secrets To Eternal Friendships
Sacramento, CA – June 1, 2009 – In celebration of National
Safety Month, PeopleFinders.com (www.peoplefinders.com), the premier online service that
helps consumers quickly find and connect with anyone, anywhere, and Safety Center Incorporated,
an organization focused on reducing injuries and saving lives by providing safety education
and training, today announced a list of key guidelines to help keep kids safe over the
With summer season well on its way, PeopleFinders.com and Safety Center are urging parents
to take extra precautions to ensure a higher level of safety for their families. According
to the FBI, environmental factors such as climate are known to affect the volume and type of
crimes – with all crime rates rising about 10 percent during the summer months. To keep
summer safety top of mind, PeopleFinders.com and Safety Center have created a list of
easy-to-follow guidelines for parents and their kids.
10 Tips to Keep Kids Safe
- Tell your children not to answer the phone or door while you are away – and never admit to being alone.
- Always keep a list of emergency contacts where it can be accessed quickly, including the best number to reach you, 911, and the numbers for family, friends and trusted neighbors.
- Draft an "escape plan" in case your kids need to leave your home quickly and safely.
- Create a list of approved activities for your children to play while you are away. This can prevent them from wandering outside or away from safe areas.
- Show your kids the best routes to walk/ride to school, to a friend's house, or to any other location they frequently visit.
- Allocate "safe houses" within your neighborhood where your kids can go if they feel they are in danger.
- Reinforce the motto, "safety in numbers."
- Teach your children the danger of strangers. Reinforce that they should never leave with someone they do not know.
- Never leave children alone in the car – even if you plan for a quick return.
- "Show and tell" your children what to do in different emergency situations. If danger does occur, this will help them know how to react and what to do.
"When the heat rises, so does crime. It is especially important for families to practice
smart safety during the summer months when there may not be as much adult supervision for
kids," said Bryce Lane, president and COO of PeopleFinders.com. "Working with Safety Center
allows us to help teach kids the importance of safety at a young age. Our hope is that these
lessons will provide a foundation for making safety a way of life."
To help inform consumers about the people in their neighborhoods, PeopleFinders.com introduced
CriminalSearches.com, a free Web site providing users with detailed information on people
with criminal histories. Parents can use CriminalSearches.com to research the safest streets
for their kids to walk or ride their bike, the most secure place to catch the bus, or the
criminal backgrounds of coaches, teachers, nannies and neighbors.
"Since 1934, our organization has educated hundreds of thousands of adults and kids about
important safety practices whether they are at home, work, school or out in the community,"
said Terry Polvado, Vice President of Safetyville USA. "By teaming up with PeopleFinders.com,
we're furthering our goal of promoting lifelong safety and health to families across the
2009 marks the 75th anniversary of Safety Center, and the 25th anniversary of Safetyville
USA, the organization's child safety program. Since 1984, Safetyville USA's trained
volunteers have guided more than 200,000 children through the organization's unique
one-third sized "village," providing them with an invaluable safety lesson experience.
Throughout the tour children are exposed to potentially harmful situations that they must
learn to recognize and avoid, and are given simple tips for pedestrian, stranger, and
playground safety that can help them now and guide them as they grow up and become parents
About Safety Center Incorporated
Founded in 1934, Safety Center Incorporated is a not-for-profit organization whose mission
is to reduce injuries and save lives by providing safety education and training. Safety
Center Incorporated accomplishes this mission by promoting lifelong safety and health
through a variety of community and professional programs. For more information, visit
PeopleFinders.com is the premier online service that helps consumers quickly find and
connect with anyone, anywhere. The service provides comprehensive searches including people
search, background checks, criminal checks, business ownership and other public records.
PeopleFinders.com is the only company that can search billions of records spanning the last
40 years, making search results more comprehensive and accurate than competitors.
PeopleFinders.com was founded in 1988 and is headquartered in Sacramento, California. For
more information, visit www.peoplefinders.com.